A wildfire near our house has caused the valley to fill up with smoke the past few mornings. The air doesn’t look extremely smokey, but the smell is strong. Isn’t it amazing how only a little smoke can infiltrate our senses?
What’s bombarding your senses today? How about beauty from God’s Word? We can breathe in the smoke of this world, or we can breathe the fresh mercies of God every morning.
Today I’m focused on one of my favorites, Psalm 119.
Consider all the ways the Psalmist speaks about God’s promises, Word, laws, and ways. The Psalmist . . .
- Hopes in God’s Word
- Pleads to understand God’s Statues
- Grieves when the Law is broken
- Loves God’s commands
- Stands in awe of His Laws
- Praises the nature of God’s decrees
- Faints with longing for God’s ways
- Commits to meditating on God’s precepts
- Delights in God’s Law and its freedom
- Praises God’s faithfulness
- Seeks strength from God’s Word
Would you join me today in breathing in and out the truths of these words?
Delights of Psalm 119
- My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times. (20)
- You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees. (68)
- Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. (89)
- Your laws endure to this day, for all things serve you. (91)
- The statutes you have laid down are righteous; they are fully trustworthy. (138)
Prayers of Psalm 119
- My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. (28)
- Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word. (37)
- May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise. (41)
- Teach me knowledge and good judgment, for I believe in your commands. (66)
- Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end. (111-112)
- Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. (133)
- I have strayed like a lost sheep. Seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands. (176)
Commitments of Psalm 119
- I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. (32)
- I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame. (46)
- Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. In the night I remember your name, O LORD, and I will keep your law. (54-55)
(please join me Mondays over at Fiction411.com where I blog about the writing life and craft)